About Woolworths Group
Woolworths Group is a food and everyday needs retailer united by the shared purpose of creating better experiences together for a better tomorrow. With more than 1,400 stores across its Woolworths Supermarkets, Countdown Supermarkets (New Zealand) and BIG W brands, and fast-growing eCommerce businesses, Woolworths Group is Australia and New Zealand’s largest retailer. A top 10 company on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX), Woolworths Group employs more than 180,000 team members and serves more than 20 million customers a week.
Agronomist | Fruit and Vegetables | Permanent Full Time | Flexible Location
We are the Fresh Food People. We live it. We breathe it. Woolworths is Australia’s largest retailer of Fresh Produce and we are proud to offer great quality, fresh fruit and vegetables to millions of customers, everyday single day. Bringing a little good to everyone, everyday is what Woolworths People are all about. Woolworths offers great opportunities for career development, for those who love food and putting a smile on a customer’s face.
About The Role
An exciting opportunity now exists to work within our Fruit and Vegetables department. We are looking for an experienced agronomist with direct experience in horticultural production, ideally within the field of Fruit and Vegetables for fresh consumption. Through this experience you would have acquired knowledge in pre-harvest operations (growing and agronomy), post harvest management and a strong understanding of good agricultural practices. Ideally you would also have experience in the application of food safety and regulatory compliance protocols and systems. You would also have a strong acumen in plant varietal development and breeding processes.
This is a great opportunity to be the technical subject matter expert in your area, working closely with a dynamic fast moving, cross functional team (including our Quality Specialists, Commercial Category Managers, buyers and operations team) to shape the future of the Fruit & Veg Department.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Be the Agronomy lead for your products, providing key insights to internal stakeholders on the company’s supply base and production regions for crops within a portfolio.
- Work with the business teams and suppliers to ensure that fruit and vegetables availability and quality are optimal and meet agreed targets.
- Build and execute a quality and availability optimisation strategy for category/s within a portfolio.
- Develop strong supplier and grower relationships and drive a culture of continual improvement.
- Ensure Woolworths requirements for inbound produce are met for Woolworths Own Brand and non-branded products.
- Ensure in-store customer expectations are met, through sampling with suppliers and collaborating with Quality Specialists and Category Managers.
- Be a mentor and contact point for other Agronomist, Quality Specialists and other team members, advising on the technical queries in the area of Fresh Produce.
- Conduct functionality and fit for purpose testing in conjunction with the business team and provide advice on product quality & safety.
- Support a compliance team to ensure that safety, legality and quality are met for all products in your categories.
- Build and maintain relationships with buying & product development teams.
- Driving a quality culture within the business and your supply base.
You Will Have:
- A passion and interest in food and Fresh Produce.
- Tertiary qualifications in Horticulture, Agronomy, Food Science or other associated science
- Extensive experience in Fruit and Vegetables working within production or post harvest packing environments in an agronomic or quality management capacity.
- A broad knowledge of major Fruit and Vegetables products and how they are produced.
- The ability to add value and ideas to improve product quality & availability.
- Great team skills, ability and proven experience working closely with business teams, internal stakeholders and suppliers.
- Strong extension skills and the ability to influence stakeholders at all levels.
- A high level of accuracy and an eye for detail.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and suppliers in a complex and fast moving environment.
- A strong understanding of the Australian and New Zealand agricultural and food regulatory environment.
- Demonstrated experience testing food products and approving release of tested products desirable.
- Previous experience with audits, auditing certification and quality compliance (e.g. HARPS standards and other GFSI accredited standards) would be a plus.
What we will offer:
- Attractive Remuneration Package – including base salary, super and incentive scheme.
- A tool of trade vehicle.
- Phone & Laptop provided.
- Added Benefits – including staff discount, free secure parking, corporate healthcare options and more.
- Training and Education – we pride ourselves in helping you realise your potential.
- An exciting career – As our business grows, so do the opportunities for our people.
Want to connect? We’re social! – connect with us at #WOWcareers through LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram or via www.wowcareers.com.au #LI
Grow with the Group
Woolworths Group has announced it will be requiring Australian team members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (subject to medical and religious exemptions).
As an inclusive, team-first company, our people are at the core of everything we do.
We care deeply about creating a workplace where our team members feel valued, respected and empowered. We are committed to providing equal opportunity regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation or life stage. We are proud to be recognised as a Gold Tier Employer in the Australian Workplace Equality Index for LGBTQ+ inclusion and as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency.
As our Group continues to evolve, innovate and support our communities, we encourage our team members to do the same with their own careers, by providing ongoing opportunities to grow and make a real difference.
We value flexibility, and encourage our team members to work in ways that meet their work/life commitments and support their wellbeing.
We work hard to create a safe and inclusive environment for all, and most importantly, we’re all about creating better experiences – for our customers and for each other.
We’d love to hear from You
If you meet a number of the requirements, but not all, we encourage you to submit your application. You can learn more about working with us on LinkedIn or via www.wowcareers.com.au . #LI #work180.
Our Talent Acquisition Team and Hiring Leaders kindly request no unsolicited resumes or approaches from Recruitment Agencies. Woolworths Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.