Australian Government Department of Defence 3.8★
- $85,607 – $97,790 (plus Super)
- Osborne – SA
Naval Construction Branch (NCB) is seeking an APS 6 Business Cost Administrator to work in the Business Directorate to support the implementation and delivery of Continuous Naval Shipbuilding.
Under broad direction the position will be accountable to manage financial budget and reporting outcomes. The routine business activities that the role will undertake includes analysis of costs and forecasts, preparation of reports and briefs, auditing of business transactions and engagement with internal and external stakeholders to secure financial and costing information for assurance purposes. The position is located in Adelaide, is the supervisor of APS 5 staff and some travel may be required interstate.
The key responsibilities and duties for the position are:
- Management of NCB shipbuilding budgets which includes monthly financial reporting activities and processes.
- Oversee project cost performance activities and provide accurate and timely information and advice to stakeholders.
- Evaluate the costing rationale and justifications of procurements and contract proposals to produce recommendations for NCB management.
- Supervise a small team and implement work plans for the work area including setting tasks and priorities, managing workflow and allocating resources.
- Contribute to the delivery of the NCB Strategic Plan in relation to the Business Cost Function by assisting with the development, review and implementation of processes and systems to support current and future business requirements.
About our Team
The Naval Construction Branch (NCB) is accountable for the assurance of ship construction, set-to-work and transit of vessels constructed at the Osborne Naval Shipyard and Henderson precinct. We are headquartered in Osborne, SA and have a detachment in Henderson, WA.
NCB is furthering Continuous Naval Shipbuilding and growing sovereign capability by overseeing the construction to ensure quality and standards are met, storing lessons learnt and developing standard shipbuilding procedures for construction. NCB will oversee the construction of many different Navy vessels including Offshore Patrol Vessels, Hunter Class Frigates, Young Endeavour, Mine Hunter Vessels, Evolved Cape Class, Pacific Patrol Boats, and Nuclear-powered submarines.
Working at NCB will enable you to be at the grassroots of Continuous Naval Shipbuilding, where you are part of a working shipyard, being able to see and contribute to the vessels delivered and used in Service by Navy. NCB currently has highly skilled and diverse shipbuilding experience which will be shared to grow your hands on construction knowledge.
You will work alongside Navy Personnel, Internal project management offices and Prime Contractors. The opportunity for technical staff to undertake industry placement is also available.
What we offer:
- 15. 4% superannuation on top of your take home annual salary.
- Generous leave conditions – 15 days personal/carers leave; 20 days annual leave; Additional leave day; Paid Parental Leave (in additional to government Paid Parental Leave).
- Christmas closedown between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day (with no requirement to take leave).
- APS 1 – 6 have access to flexitime, EL 1-EL 2 have access to time off in lieu (TOIL).
- Staff training and leadership development programs as well as access to study assistance for formal tertiary qualifications and short courses at UNSW.
- Rewarding career outside of Canberra.
- Salary sacrificing options.
- Supported to take defence reservist leave.
- Access to Flexible working arrangements (including home based work and/or part time working arrangements).
- Free onsite parking.
- Public café and onsite cafeteria available.
- Access to base facilities (pool and gym at Edinburgh).
- Focus on health and wellbeing with Mental Health First Aiders and access to free and confidential Employee Assistance Program for employees and their families.
- Access to Defence Health Insurance for employees and their families.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate will:
- Display personal drive to actively support a team-based performance focused culture including a shared responsibility for the achievement of team goals and objectives.
- Build trust and demonstrate integrity with internal and external stakeholders.
- Support the NCB leadership team by monitoring and effectively reporting the progress of assigned tasking in a timely manner.
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders at various organisational levels and across teams.
- Show a willingness to learn and ability to prioritise tasks based on organisational requirements.