The Tasmanian Walking Company are proudly Tasmanian and have been walking for over 30 years to deliver unique experiences that connect guests to some of Tasmania’s most remote, wild, and special places. Our history and reputation will be with you every step of the way, and this extends to our Twelve Apostles Lodge Walk in Johanna. In 2015, TWC moved into the mainland, launching a partnership with the Australian Walking Company (AWC), which started with the acquisition of the Twelve Apostles Lodge Walk and now continues with a vision to create new guided-walk experiences on mainland Australia.
Our walks require grounded and passionate guides to share their love of the natural Great Ocean wilderness to our guests, while also providing them with a welcoming personality and keen get-up-and-go as you accompany them on their expedition. Your excitement for engaging others with the environment will inspire the guests, as though welcoming an old friend to new adventure, and ensuring that they can connect to the same love of place as you. Offered on a casual or salaried basis, our guiding role will have you walking and working on the Twelve Apostles Lodge Walk (Vic).
To be a AWC guide is to be enthusiastic about sharing the lifestyle and the experiences associated with our walks with not only the guests, but also each other. We welcome inspiring trip leaders who aim to foster wonder and awe in the environment around them, elevating the stunning vistas of the Twelve Apostles Walk to new heights by providing a wonderful experience to complement their sights.
The Twelve Apostles Walk takes its walkers across four days of expedition stating from Castle Cove, along a stretch of Johanna Beach, from Milanesia Track to Moonlight Head and across the Great Ocean Walk – reminiscing on the history of Wreck Beach and its storied beachscape – before wandering the Apostles and ending with a helicopter ride back to Port Campbell. This walk is excellent for any guides who have a passion for Port Campbell National Park and its ecosystem, helping to share with the guests our world of grass tree forests, deep gullies, shipwrecks, and unique natural spectacle.
This role includes a compulsory Guide Training session spanning 25th of August – 27th of August at the Twelve Apostles Lodge Walk.
As an AWC guide you will help to provide the very best in adventure and ecotourism wilderness guiding, ensuring we meet our guests’ high expectations, and leaving them with a better understanding of the wild and wonderful Tasmanian wilderness. You should harbour a desire to provide superb guided journeys for our guests, and create memorable and positive experiences for all.
The successful candidate for this role will be able to demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Relevant bush walking experience and a good knowledge of the National Parks the walks are situated in
- Demonstrable knowledge and ability to provide interpretation about the area, the flora, fauna, and history to guests
- Well-developed customer service, communication, leadership, and teamwork skills
- Hospitality experience; cooking, food preparation, presentation, and service
- Passion for nature, people and providing exceptional experiences
- Ability to maintain a clear view and professional approach in stressful situations
- Be able to resolve conflict or confrontation in a calm proactive manner
- Be confident giving and receiving constructive feedback on systems and performance
- Current Wilderness First Aid (SISSS00126)
- Current Provide CPR (HLTAID009)
- Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol (SITHFAB002)
- Food Handling Level 1 (SITXFSA001)
- Community Surf Life Saving Certificate (incl. PUASAR012 and PUASAR013)
If you love the outdoors and are passionate about the eco-tourism industry, then this role offers it all!
Click Here for a Position Description (only available through our recruitment portal). If you have any further questions, please reach out to us firstname.lastname@example.org or for more information about the role. Applications close 9am Friday 15th July so make sure that you don’t miss out!