Employment Hero 4.6★
WHAT IS THE CHANGE WE WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD?
Plan International Australia works hard to ensure that children and girls everywhere can learn, lead, decide and thrive. We work with young people to put them at the centre of the work we do, and this is what the Youth Activist Series is all about.
Today, we have the largest generation of young people the world has ever seen. You have the potential to build a better world – you already are – and we want to help empower and amplify your voices.
WHAT IS THE YOUTH ACTIVIST SERIES?
Plan International’s Youth Activists are a force to be reckoned with. They receive intensive training in gender equality literacy, advocacy and campaigning, research, stakeholder and government relations, media and communications, and then go out into the world and tackle inequality head on.
They are fearless, powerful and feminist.
As a Youth Activist, you may have the chance to be involved in:
- Advocacy and campaign planning
- Media appearances
- Influencing decision makers
- Social media and communications
- Supporting youth activism globally
- Contributing to Plan International Australia’s policy agenda
In 2023, the Youth Activist Series will be supported by a Corporate Partner that aligns with Plan International Australia’s values for gender justice and empowering young women.
As a part of this, our youth activists will have the opportunity to be involved in public engagement activities, training and events with the Partner. This support may also include in-store photos and storytelling from the 2023 youth activists to engage the Australian community to support the next generation of leaders.
Our partner provides funding for the Youth Activist Series program in 2023, including the youth-centred research project that takes place later in the year. The partner may use a commercial product to raise funds in support of the project, and to amplify the campaign ask that YAS in 2023 advocate for.
You need to be:
- 16 – 24 years old and passionate about gender and social justice
- Able to attend regular virtual workshops and meet-ups (optional)
- If you are under 18 years of age you will need to seek permission from your parent or guardian to participate in the program.
The Youth Activist Series is a 12-month commitment. We expect you to attend 80% of the workshops, to maximise your skills development and ensure that you are ready to fight for gender justice.
We expect that you will actively partake in activities and events throughout the year and respond to ad-hoc opportunities as they come up. Some months will be busier than others (particularly February, May, June, September and October).
Key events and dates throughout the year include:
- Training weekend: The Youth Activist Series training weekend is compulsory and will take place virtually on Zoom, with tentative dates for the 18th and/or 25th February, 2023.
- Intensive March Workshops (2 hours once a week, for one month): In the evenings of March.
- Other Workshops : There will be a number of workshops providing additional training, updates on our work and to involve you in planning, co-design of and execution of projects. We will always try to let you know at least 2 weeks in advance of the date, and find a time that best suits participants.
HOW TO BE A PART OF THE YAS
Applications are now live, and the application date has been extended until Monday 16 January, 2023 .
Have a look at the Position Description and submit your application through the expression of interest form via PIA’s website: https://www.plan.org.au/you-can-help/youth-activist-series-yas/ .
This is an opportunity for young people of all genders, abilities, and identities between the ages of 16 and 24. You do not have to be an existing leader or activist in your community – this is an opportunity for all, no matter what part of your gender justice journey you are on – we would love you to apply!
If you have any questions about the program, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com